To become a fully certified teacher in a public school, you need to complete an approved teaching program. You’ll get the skills and knowledge you need to teach in your chosen grade and subject.
Let’s break it down and find the right path for you.
Completing a teaching program is one of several steps to earn your certificate. Get a full explanation of the process, plus a downloadable guide, on our Certification page.
On this page:
Four Ways to Complete Your Teacher Training
Enter your email to get the updates that matter.
- Career insights.
- Teacher spotlights.
- Deadline reminders.
You can always customize what and when you hear from us.
Make sure your program works for you
Once you have an idea of which pathway is right for you, you’ll want to make sure that your must-haves are covered.
Your teaching program should:
- Offer a credential in the grade and subject you want to teach. Confirm that they have been accredited by one of the South Carolina-approved accreditation agencies.
- Be approved for certification in South Carolina. TeachSC program explorer can get your search started.
- Work for you financially.
- Work with your schedule. Program coursework can be mostly online, in-person or a mix of both, and all programs require fieldwork in schools.
Once you have these logistics covered, you can look more closely at the values and focus of the programs you’re considering, to find the best fit.
What to look for in a teaching program
Each teaching program has its own approach to skill-building, mentorship and instruction. As you explore teaching programs, consider how you learn best and what skills are important to you.
Current teachers, teacher preparation program officials and school district HR chiefs (you know, the experts) say that a strong teaching program should offer these hallmarks:
- Lots of hands-on experience
- Preparation to teach diverse populations
- Mentoring and coaching
- Commitment to continuous improvement
TeachSC offers support for every step of your teacher prep journey, including how-to guides, deadline reminders, application checklists and 1-on-1 support. Learn More.
Teaching Program Hallmarks and Tools
Create an Account
Sign up for your free, all-access pass to TEACH products and services.
- Create a career roadmap.
- Get 1-on-1 expert advice.
- Follow how-to guides for getting certified.
- Access prep program application checklists.
- Claim fee reimbursements towards application and testing expenses.
We’re always working on something new to help the next generation of great teachers. With an account, you get first dibs!