One Career—Many Paths
Like other high-skilled professions, there are key steps to becoming a teacher. The good news? You have several options to get there. We’ll walk you through an overview here, but if you’re looking for a detailed guide to certification—we’ve got you covered over on our Guide to Certification page.
Know where you’re headed.
To become a classroom teacher, you’ll need to earn a bachelor’s degree and complete an approved program for teaching certification.
- Earn your certificate and bachelor’s at the same time. If you don’t have an undergrad degree yet, many colleges offer certificate programs that go along with your degree. Search programs.
- Teach while you earn your certificate. If you already have a degree, you may be eligible for a paid teaching job right away.
- Go for a master’s degree. You can earn a certificate as part of a master’s degree program. Search programs.
Choose the program that fits you best.
When it comes time to choose a program that will get you certified to teach, use our criteria to compare options. It’s easier to find a match when you know which programs will work best for you.
Apply to a program with confidence.
Once you’ve found the right program (you can apply to more than one!), it’s time to apply. You might need to write an essay, submit a resume, take a test or get letters of recommendation. We’ve got guides for all of that! You can also get $100 back after you apply!
Fund your teacher training.
Are finances top of mind? You’ve got options when it comes to funding your training, from work study to loans to scholarships. We can help.
- Apply for a $1,000 scholarship
- Get money back on application fees
- Search for financial aid
Need help deciding what’s next?
- Get Advice
Don’t be afraid to ask for help! Sign up for a phone call or email with someone who knows the ropes. It’s free, really popular and super helpful.
- Learn More
If you’re just shopping and dreaming for now, check out the Program Explorer and read profiles of South Carolina teaching programs.
- Create an Account
Create your free account, and access tools like essay and resume templates, $ back on applications, downloadable guides and more.